Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Improving Home Safety for Seniors

I decided to focus tonight's blog on a more general topic of home safety for seniors.

pastedGraphic.png
But before we stray that direction, I wanted to share a personal FALL story.

A few years ago, I was carrying two large, not too heavy but awkwardly shaped boxes that contained computer parts from my house out to my car. I should have and very well could have made more than one trip. But my stubbornness won that morning and I have continued to pay that price to this day, over 6 years later. I missed my step from the curb to the street and went down H A R D. I could both hear and feel the loudest, most intense snap feeling. I didn't realize immediately how severe things were for a little bit. I was in shock- physically and emotionally. 

pastedGraphic_1.png
here I am laid up on the couch
with my two messed up legs
I tried to stand back up and immediately fell back down, I couldn't feel my left leg, basically from the knee down. I had long pants on and a sandal. I crawled to my car and decided to drive to urgent care and get it looked at. Fast forward a few hours and I'm on crutches with a severely and dislocated broken left ankle and leg and a badly sprained right ankle AND a surgery scheduled to implant several pieces of metal. I ended up needing several months off from work, AND several months of not being able to put ANY weight on my left leg. 


pastedGraphic_2.png
this is the hardware they put 
into my left ankle
After my first my surgery my surgeon told my mom that I had experienced a life changing injury. And boy was he right! This could have all been avoided had I either made more than one trip to the car, or by wearing more sturdy shoes. I am, however, somewhat grateful for this experience though because it has taught me a lot about falls, the fear of falling that I still have as a result of this experience, and how much that has impacted my life which makes me a more compassionate and accurate geriatric care manager.

Home accidents are a major source of injury and can even result in death. Older adults can be even more susceptible to injuries from falls and other accidents due to less dense, more brittle bones that break more easily.

Over the years I've spent working with various senior populations in different settings. I've kept an ongoing list of ideas relating to home safety, which really can be used universally but are designed with a senior in mind. I decided that breaking list up by areas of the home made the most sense. 

pastedGraphic_3.png

*please note that these are general suggestions, ideas and of course checking with your doctor and discussing these with your family is a good idea before making any radical changes in your home or life. If you live in an apartment or any type of senior living facility it is important also to check with management before any modifications are made.

General Home Safety
※Interior and exterior door handles and locks are functional and easy to use
pastedGraphic_4.png※Keep emergency phone numbers and addresses by each phone
※Have a peephole to see who is at your door before you open it, and make sure it      is at the height appropriate to you
※The water heater is set to 120 at the highest 
※Area and floor rugs have nonskid backing and are not too warm
※Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are installed properly in working order
※Medications are stored in a safe place and instructions and dosage are on the label

Kitchen
※The counter, cook-spaces and sink areas are well-lighted and working properly
pastedGraphic_5.png※The stove is not located under a window with curtains that could fall down onto      a burner
※If your stovetop is gas, it needs to have pilot lights and an auto cut-off if there is a      flame failure (the Gas Company can come check that for you, if needed)
※Knives are kept in a knife rack or drawer
※Drawers and cupboards are kept closed
pastedGraphic_6.png※Spilled grease and/or other liquids are wiped up      immediately
※Small appliances are unplugged when not being used
※Flooring is safe not in disrepair
※Work surfaces and cooktops are not shiny or glaring
※Use the exhaust fan with the stove is being used
※When preparing foods do not wear garments with long, loose sleeves
※Frequently used food, supplies, etc are kept in places that are      easily accessible, where you do not need to over-reach in order to grab them

Stairways and Halls
※Foyer has a nonslip entrance
※Stairs are in good condition and are free of clutter and/or objects
pastedGraphic_8.png※Hallways, bathrooms and kitchens are equipped with night-lights
※There are sturdy handrails on both sides of the staircase
pastedGraphic_7.png※Hallways and stairs are well lighted
※There are no doors that open out over steps
※There is enough space in stairways to avoid bumping head and reducing the need to duck

Living Room

※Electrical cords and wires run along walls and not under rugs
pastedGraphic_9.png※Chairs, couches and other seating areas are secure and sturdy
※Seating areas are easy to get in and out of and have full arms to aid in sitting down           and getting back out
※There is enough room to walk through the room
pastedGraphic_10.png※The light switch is near the entrance




Bathroom

※The bathtub and/or shower doors are glazed with safety coating or plastic
pastedGraphic_11.png※The bathroom has even lighting without glare
※The bathroom door opens outward
※Shower has hand-held shower head with flexible hose
pastedGraphic_12.png※The towel bars and soap dish in and around the      shower/bathtub are made of strong, durable materials and are firmly installed
※Grab bars are installed by the walls by the toilet      and bathtub, and they are sturdy
※The shower and tub has a single-lever, anti-scalding faucet head

Bedroom
※If necessary for mobility issues, the bedroom is on the first

floor
pastedGraphic_13.png※A nightlight is used to brighten the room at nighttime 
※There should be a sturdy arm chair that can be used to dress
※There is plenty of room to walk around the bed
pastedGraphic_14.png
※The bedroom has low-pile carpeting or other smooth surface floor covering

※Next to the bed is a small table for telephone, cell phone, glasses and any other necessary items


Backyard/Patio
※Any steps and walkways are in good condition
※Handrails are installed where needed and are securely fastened
pastedGraphic_15.png※Doorways, steps, porches have good lighting
pastedGraphic_16.png※Security lighting is installed outside
※The garage is adequately ventilated
※Garage doors are easy to operate and open and      close all the way
※The street and end of driveway are visible from the      garage and are not blocked by hedges, trees, shrubs,      etc
Our homes serve many physical and emotional purposes; the most basic need is to offer protection against intruders and the elements.Therefore it is important that we make our homes as secure and safe as possible. 

Please check us out at 
Connect with us on social media:
 on Facebook at
on Twitter at
 Instagram at
thrive_gcm

This blog series is designed to help you 
and your loved ones 
pastedGraphic_17.png



Knowledge is Power!

No comments:

Post a Comment